Friday 15 October 2010

Who is Jesus, really?

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! Joh 1:29


There seems to be such confusion over what truth is in this hour and I think that this is a result of the whirlpool mix of various religions, humanistic and atheistic world views. People seem to relegate Jesus as a good teacher along with Buddha or Muhammad. Was Jesus just a "good" teacher, or was He more than this? As Christians, we know that Jesus was more than a "good" teacher. We know that He is fully God and fully man.

One of the biggest lies we hear is that everyone will go to heaven because man is basically good. How I wish this were so, but Jesus emphatically stressed:

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. Joh 14:6

The truth of this statement, in our "scared to bring any offence" world, stands out in stark severity especially when coupled with the only alternative outcome after death. Heaven or hell?

I have one question to pose. If Jesus died for us, why would He lie to us?

I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. ........ "Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father." Joh 10:14-15,17-18

With His love compelling Him, Jesus willingly left heaven to come, the Creator as the created, to identify with humanity and offer His life on that cross for the forgiveness of our sins. He needed to do this for us, because the standard of righteousness in our Holy Father is too high for any of us to attain and gain entry into heaven. We will even be judged on our thought life and the attitudes of the heart. Jesus warned that the "road to destruction is broad, but the road that leads to life is narrow." (Matt 7:13) The gift of the cross brought us redemption, and there is nothing we can do for salvation, it is the gift of God through Jesus Christ our Lord, so no man can boast. (Eph 2:8) What we could not do for ourselves, God did for us and all we have to do is accept this gift of eternal life.


But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: Joh 1:12


Yes, the alternative, eternal judgement is too horrible to contemplate but Christ has done everything in His power, laying down His life for us, that we can chose to believe in His substitutory sacrifice and be given the power to be called children of God.


For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. Rom 8:14


For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. Gal 3:26


Let us behold Him. He is the key to eternal life. The door into heaven. He is Jesus, Saviour, Lord and the lover of our souls. He is the Word of truth. Behold the Lamb of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment