Tuesday 15 October 2013

And He made Himself of no reputation

But made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.  Phl 2:7-8 NKJV

I was watching a program the other night about depression and they were saying that depression is a major sickness among the nations today.  I was contemplating this as I know many, including myself once, who suffered depression and seemingly lost some sense of hope to varying degrees. The main reason they gave for this is the fact that society today is so focused on self and I had to agree.

Jesus made us to be outward centred and not inwardly focused.  He himself lay down His life for others and gave up His rights and this I believe is the key to relieving depressive states in us.  Just think about it!

“And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was. Jn 17:5 NKJV
 Jesus had glory with the Father and in fact the Word teaches us that He is the master creator of the universe.

All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. Jn 1:3 NKJV

Angels worshipped Him, yet Jesus left His state of Glory to step into our time to heal, deliver and ultimately save us through His death on the cross.  He showed us another way of living and thinking, with a focus on relationship with the Father and relationship with each other.  And the Word tells us to have this same mind – be like minded with Christ.

When I look back on my past, before I met Jesus Christ, I was constantly thinking about myself and how life had thrown me the raw deal.  Being married and having children relieved this to a small point as it forced me to think about someone else, but even in that, I constantly came back to myself.  “I need my rest so you children better be quiet,  I’m doing this for you,  none of you appreciate the things I have to sacrifice for you.  I’m the one who has to pick up after everyone.  No I don’t have the time for you right now, I’m busy….” I, I, I!   No wonder I was in a state of depression.  I have learnt since receiving Jesus Christ into my heart that the world doesn’t revolve around me but in fact the world is centred around Jesus Christ and others.

Even today I can fall into this “I” trap. A good example of this being the other day when folding up countless handkerchiefs (okay maybe a little exaggeration here) and beginning to feel very annoyed.  Again, where was my focus – certainly not on being a blessing, or even doing my work as unto the Lord.  Even at work, when I went to make a cup of tea and others had left the sink area in a state of chaos and not washed up their plates, cups etc and I began to grumble (being focused on me again and getting very annoyed), the Holy Spirit had me catch myself and I began to thank Him that I could be a blessing to others and clean up all the stuff left.  I actually felt better rather then staying annoyed.

Is this difficult to do!  YES, but it is worth it and it is this kind of action that God can bless because, like Jesus, we are putting others ahead of our own interests.  Not only that but my blood pressure did not rise and the steam did not come out of my ears.  I felt more at peace.  I think that this is definitely something I could practise.

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.  Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Phl 2:3-4

My husband Sam definitely has shown me more and more over the years about this way of sacrificial living as he has a servant’s heart and is always willing to go beyond himself and walk the extra mile.  I have a long way to catch up but focusing on Jesus example certainly helps.  I think that maybe this is love – putting God and others first.  It is what we teach at Sunday schools all around the nations – J O Y = Jesus, others and THEN you.


No comments:

Post a Comment