Saturday 17 July 2010

Dependency upon God.

As my husband was driving us to church this morning, I was quietly praying and preparing my heart to meet with God and asking for His presence to be upon me and the church. I muttered, God do You know how much I need you?" and the question came back, " Do I know how much I need you, Lord?" It is quite one thing to know that we need God, and we do, but to what extent is that need? I would dare to say it is a great need.


Jesus said that we must come to the Kindgom as a child, (Matt 8:13) and in fact, unless we are childlike in our faith, we will no means "enter the Kingdom of Heaven." Children have such simplicity of faith. They do not stress out asking where the next meal is going to come from or even their next pair of shoes. They rely totally on their parents' ability to supply their every need and are depended upon them for love, acceptance and self-worth. Do we trust God like this and are we dependent upon Him in this way?


Even Jesus, Son of God, in His humanity, depended upon the power of the Holy Spirit and on His Heavenly Father. Jesus, surrendered His every waking moment to the Father, to walk in the path of obedience doing the Father's will on earth.


Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work." (Joh 4:34)


Even the very words He spoke came from His reliancy upon hearing from God and proclaiming His message to broken humanity.


For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I shoud say and what I should speak. And I know that His command is everlasting life. Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak." (Joh 12:49-50)


Our times are in God's hands, so in a sense, we are even dependent upon God for our next breath. He has given us our talents and abilities which we can either use to glorify Him or glorify ourselves. We grow up and develop out talents, but do we consider, "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." (Jas 1:17)


David, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, penned a "Messianic Psalm" wherein it was declared,


"O my soul, you have said to the LORD, "You are my Lord, My goodness is nothing apart from You." (Psa 16:2)


If Jesus was so dependent upon His Father in Heaven, how much more should we be? I want to come like a child to the Father and rely on Him more and more every day, so that, more and more, He can use me to do His will and that His name will be glorified in my life.


True humility begins when we recognise that apart from Him, we can do nothing of everlasting and eternal worth.


No comments:

Post a Comment