Tuesday 27 July 2010

One thing.....

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear. The LORD is the strength of my life of whom shall I be afraid."
David begins this psalm with a declaration that God is His light and salvation and His deliverer. Therefore his heart can remain steadfast in his confidence no matter what circumstances surround him; he need not fear.
The reason for this confidence is that fact that David seeks after God.
"The ONE thing I ask of the LORD - the THING I seek most - is to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, delighting in the LORD's perfections and mediating in His temple". (Ps 27:4)
One thing...
It is in this single-minded fellowship, where we find ourselves, who we really are and what is really important. It is in this communion with Him, where we seek His face, that we become bold and confident even in the face of adversity, that God is our help and that we will overcome in His Loving arms, and so the song of joy and victory will arise in our hearts.
"My heart has heard your say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "LORD, I am coming." Ps 27:8
What an incredible invitation that the LORD extends to us. The Creator of the Universe and our Maker, this awesomely Mighty God who runs the universe, calls us to come and sit with Him and chat!!! How can we not respond to this amazing God, whose welcome mat is out and His ear is open to our cry? We don't even have this welcome from the rich and famous, or royalty of the earth, yet our Holy Father says, "Come child, come on in". God always has time for us.
David's priority in life, and indeed ours, should be - seeking God. God has promised those who seek Him"-
"Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the LORD." (Jer 29:12-14(a))
When we seek God, we begin to know Him and His ways better, as He throws the light of His revelation into our hearts. Experientially as we walk with God, we see His faithfulness manifest in all our situations.
This is the second reason for David's confidence - his meditation upon the nature and character of God. When we consider God's incredible LOVE for us, that He was willing to give up His most precious Son, how can we not be moved to trust Him with our lives and situations? God knows exactly what is best for us, (even if we don't think so at the time) and, as we know, He has a plan for each one of us. The bible tells us that it is a "good plan", a "hope for our future." (Jer 29:11) When we consider God's power, that He holds the universe together by the power of His Word and can fold up the heavens like a blanket, how can we not trust Him with our everyday struggles? We can call on His aid, day or night, it makes no difference to a God who does not slumber or sleep (Ps 121:3-4), and whose door is open and never shurt. When we consider God is Righteous and Just, we can leave justice in His Hands for the things that have wronged us and know God will have an outcome that will turn evil into good. We just need to trust Him with the whys and ifs and maybes, for God surely has an answer for us.
Therefore in everything we can confidently claim with David:-
"Yet I am confident that I will see the LORD's GOODNESS while I am here in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD" (Ps 27:13-14)
Can you hear that? The sound of joyful and confident expectation, the hope and shout of victory! Most "surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the LORD FOREVER." (Ps 23:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment